Velogal's Blog

Tuesday, September 26, 2006



This is a tribute to my long-time client, Judith, who died last night from metasticized breast cancer. Judith was first diagnosed in 1993, and then again with metastatic breast cancer in 2002. She became my client in 2003, and I was privileged to walk the long journey with her, in many sessions over the past three years. Judith was a sweet, gentle woman who faced her cancer with courage, determination, and a will to survive. The cancer spread to many parts of her body over the past two years, and finally to her brain. She died at her home, where she wanted to be.

This poetry is by Michael Samuelson Hayes, who is a male breast cancer survivor. It is in his book, "Voices From The Edge".

Close the Door When You Leave

I never asked you to visit
...at least I don't believe I did
Maybe...I don't know
It's so confusing

At any rate, you're a rude guest
You take my energy,
rob my sleep and with a stick,
You swirl and distort my dreams

All right, You are here...for now
But understand
There are two places
that are forever off limits

You may not tread on my spirit
You may not occupy my soul

I have heard of your visits to others
I know the damage you leave
in your path
The wanton disregard for innocence,
value, and what some
would call fairness

Also, I hear that laughter
confuses you;
that good food makes you feel bad, and
That nothing causes you more distress
than an autumn sunset,
the forever blue of a summer sky
Or the unconditional radiance
of a child's smile

Listen and understand
You might pilfer my closets,
empty all the drawers,
and trash my house
But there are two places
forever off limits

You may not tread on my spirit
You may not occupy my soul

Do not mistake my nausea, weakness,
and pain as signs of your victory
They are simply small dents
in the armour I wear to fight you
Instead, look deeply into my eyes

They will once again remind you
that there are two places
forever off limits

You must not...
May not...
Will not tread on my spirit

You must not...
May not...
Will not occupy my soul


Judith's cancer never occupied her soul nor tread on her spirit... The rest of her journey will be in peace and without pain...

3 Comments:

  • I'm so sorry to hear that. Judith sounds like a remarkable person.
    There's so much to be done before we beat this disease.

    Ann

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:04 AM  

  • It is so hard to lose a friend especially one you have grown close to. Hope the peace that Judith now has will comfort you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:57 AM  

  • A great tribute it is always hard someone you get close to it is great to know that you stood by her.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home