Velogal's Blog

Tuesday, September 05, 2006


Word that I hear is that Roger Hammond will sign with T-Mobile next year, and that Discovery did not offer him a new contract. As I said before, I am sorry to see him go. And another great guy who is leaving, Max Van Heeswijk, won the first stage of the Tour of Poland yesterday.

Thanks to the heads-up from a reader that I was forgetting Max - that brings my count up to eight riders who are leaving Discovery Channel... so far.

Are you reading Michael Barry's diary on VeloNews? He's a good writer and really keeps us up-to-date on what's happening with the team at the Vuelta. Yesterday, at rest day, Michael said that Chechu and Benjamin took the team for a sight-seeing ride around Gijon and then out for drinks on a terrace overlooking the water. Now that is the way to spend Rest Day! If Chechu is involved, it's bound to be classy....

2 Comments:

  • I realize that Ekimov is still technically with the team, but I was a bit surprised that there was no acknowledgement from this site, The Paceline, or Discovery of his final race. No pics, no congrats on a job well done, nothing. Is it customary to let retiring riders just "fade away"? Or did Eki himself specifically request no fanfare?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:06 AM  

  • I talked about Eki leaving on 7/23, 7/25, 8/23, and 8/24. I would haved liked to have seen some acknowledgment about his dedication to the team on the official sites, too...
    velogal

    By Blogger velogal, At 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home