Velogal's Blog

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

So, I’m back from hanging out in Colorado for a few days - beautiful country around the Colorado Springs area, and also spent a couple of days around Grand Junction. Between this trip and the Tour of Utah, I sure saw a lot of big country. I’m still pretty fried from the ToU - it was so much more difficult than it needed to be - all due to lack of planning and organization. It was a rough gig, for sure....

Took my little D70 along to Colorado, but it took a dump along the way. All the buttons stopped working, except the one to take shot. No LED image, no adjustments - nada... I found online that Nikon has issued a D70 “service advisory” for what sounds like my camera problem. So I sent it in to them and hope they’ll fix it for free. I have three Nikons and two of them have had “service advisory” problems now, and had to be returned to the factory. Doesn’t say much for Nikon quality, does it? Plus, they do not refund the cost of shipping and insurance, which is not small....

Well, Poor old George (as Phil would say) had another bummer luck event at Eneco Stage 7 - he was again robbed of a victory. Got knocked on his arse by Schumacher in the final sprint and lost the whole race by one second or so... Big controversy - Schumacher didn’t hold his line, but it sounds like another damn spectator-caused crash. Schumacher swerved to avoid a spectator leaning way too far out from the barricades. Guess they are going to have to start double-barricading all finish lines like they do along the Champs Elysees for the Tour. If the sprint is flying down the side of the barricade, wouldn’t you think the people would have sense enough to get their hands, arms, cameras and bloody flags, poppers and crappy green hands out of the way? Guess not....

My Iron Man, Eki, will ride his last ride with Discovery at GP Plouay. Then he will become an Assistant DS for Discovery. Can’t think of a more experienced and knowledgeable guy than Eki to work with all the young riders that DC is going to acquire. And, speaking of young - Tom D will lead the Vuelta for sure.. I have to sign up for the cycling.tv additional Premium Channel to see it. I think it’s well worth the cost for three weeks - just wish I could get clearer, faster live-streaming.

1 Comments:

  • Glad to have you back. I love Colorado. I love to think about the cool, dry weather, especially when I'm in hot, sticky Virginia.
    Poor George as you say. I never can get used to the intrusivenes of the spectators at races. But I guess that's bike racing...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home