Velogal's Blog

Sunday, May 09, 2004

Today was a really cool day. I got up early - I'm talking really early, to drive up to Pinole for the Berkeley Hills race. Went to the sign-in and was rather awed by the number of guys and gals that I had seen sweating and flying by me at Cat's Hill yesterday. Jeez, they had raced a gruelling race yesterday - the Pro/1/2 race did not finish until about 5:30 pm. They got up at the crack of dawn for a 7:30 am start this morning! The guys had climbed Cat's Hill about 35 times, yet here they were for more suffering and a very little bit of glory.


Met up with Dave Z and his really great girlfriend, Randi. As soon as the race started, she and I headed for the feed zone, counter-clockwise on the course. We found our spot on a great feed zone site - long uphill climb - just perfect for feeding. It was an 85 mile course, and the riders passed by four times. I did the feed for DZ, and Randi stood a bit further away, as back-up, in case my feed screwed up. She could make sure he got his bottle. I love doing the feed zones, and do it well. And DZ is solid, so he got his bottle every time. Way cool, super cool. Love it!! Now I need to graduate to Postie team feeding. Johan, Dirk, Laurenzo - are you there? Can Feed, Will Travel...


I got just a few shots of DZ, just quick ones with not great composition, but I'll put them up on my smugmug gallery. You can access the gallery from the menu on the right.


Wow - did our Posties look good at Dunquerque? Max and Stijn got stage wins, but we know that the other guys set it up and worked their butts off to achieve these wins. Great job, everyone.. we're proud of you all... The "silent" riders, who do not get their names in the news, but suffer and work their tails off need to be acknowledged, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home