Velogal's Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2004

Wow - What a day! I was standing with the Postie staff at the end of the finish line and we saw this bunch of blue come flying over the hill. Out of the bunch, like a streak of blue lightening, came Lance, throwing his bike over the line. We just went wild! I gave College the biggest bear hug in the world - he was the person next to me, so I laid it in him! We were totally surprised - it was just great. I wore my Go Lance shirt, so I told Lance that is why he won. "Well. thank you very much" he said, with a grin. It's Ok. Lance, but you owe me one.


So I hung out and watched the guys warm up for the TT - they were all real casual and joking, Lance was drinking bottles and throwing them to the fans - he was joking and laughing with everyone. So casual and so relaxed, and then he goes out and just smokes the time trial. It was a great day, except that one of the young riders, Craig Lewis, from Team TIAA-CREF, got hit when a car pulled out on the course. He is hospitalized with a concussion and collapsed lungs from broken ribs. I wish him well - we are seeing too many of our cyclists with these kinds of injuries.

So Lance is in the yellow, and it was so funny when he was on the podium. They had some older fellow present the jersey to Lance...well this guy jumped right up on the podium beside Lance and held up his own arms in victory, just like Lance was doing. So the press photographers just went berserk, because the guy was screwing up their prize podium shots. Nobody got him down, so everyone who took a shot had this old dude in it. He was totally oblivious to his faux pas, so no solo shot of Lance in the yellow today.


I got to the race course real early this morning, and found two classes of pre-school kids on the 2nd Street Hill, drawing like crazy. I don't think they knew that they were duplicating an old Tour de France tradition, but they sure were having fun. I put several pics up in a separate gallery. It is really so cool how all the towns in Georgia get out and support the race - they are so proud to have Lance here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home