Velogal's Blog

Monday, September 20, 2004

Well, it has been a week since the T-Mobile race in SF happened. It was a great event and the slightly changed racecourse was just great, in my opinion. Every time I stand on top of Fillmore and see the guys coming up to the top, I am just blown away that they can do that horrendous climb so many times. The photos just do not adequately show how grueling and cruel that climb is. I saw Trent Klasna come over the top near the end with a big grin - what a guy. He is one of my favorite riders. Actually, I don’t think I have put his pic up yet in my photo gallery - I will try to add some tonight. I have a few more shots, including a few quick shots of Lance and his kids before the Ryan Pfau Kiddie’s race. (Sorry if I have misspelled the name).


I was standing on the corner of Bay and Fillmore, right at the corner of Marina Middle School where the volunteers checked in. I was waiting for my race vehicle to be returned to me (which never happened), and I was astonished to see Lance driving a big old SUV/truck (nope, I’m not gonna say the make of the truck) with two car seats in the back for his girls. Luke and Lance’s mother, Linda, were inside. Of course, I was waving like mad. And then they went on down Fillmore and did a U-turn on Chestnut and parked. So, I headed down there at full speed ahead. A crowd of delighted and surprised parents of the tiny kids who were racing immediately surrounded Lance. As usual, everyone was in his face, so I stood back, and my shots were not the best for composition. Unless you elbow and push your way right in his face, you always have some people’s arms, heads and hats in the corner (or middle) of your photos.


I did get a chance to exchange a quick hug and kiss on the cheek with Lance, and a warm hello with Linda. Lance was holding both the little gals and they were really an armful. Serge, Och and Dan Osipow were there to try to run interference for Lance and the kids. They all walked on down Chestnut for the kiddie’s race, but I had to go back to the volunteer check-in area.


I did get to spend some time with our Posties guys during the weekend. I was invited to a dinner on Friday night with Lance and the team - it was really fine! I sat with my favorite soigneurs, Amy and Dave, and our super cool wrench, Vince. I was asked to be the official photographer for the evening, so I moved around from table to table with my super Nikon and Speedlight flash, and met a lot of really nice folks. Plus, big bonus, I hung out with my Posties! I saw Pavel tasting a gin and tonic and rejecting it immediately with a look on his face like he was tasting some bad medicine. Of course, Chechu was there with his dazzling smile and so was Eki. When Eki smiles and laughs, his whole face lights up.


So, now we have the last week of the Vuelta to follow. Our guys have just done an outstanding job there! Johan and Dirk are just brilliant - they are just the best DS team in the world. Then we are kinda in a long dry spell for racing. Be sure and check out your local scene for cycling races and go out to support the local guys who work hard, too. And they really appreciate some cheering and applause. And don’t forget to register for the Tour of Hope and The Ride for the Roses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home