Velogal's Blog

Monday, July 23, 2007

Vino is my hero... Yes, I think Alberto Contador is awesome, and I agree with Johan that his talent will likely be as close to the next Lance Armstrong that any rider could be. But Vino has suffered so much and has risen from the ashes in such a fierce, undying way that he deserves hero status in my book.. I so totally admire his courage, perseverance, and just plain guts. I swear, anyone else but Lance would have called it quits with all those stitches and pain. What a guy - he has really pulled off the impossible.

Wait, hasn’t that happened to another rider in the past year? Another rider at the Tour de France? Didn’t another rider came back from the arms of defeat to win a stage in the Tour last year? And didn’t I hear braying voices saying that it absolutely proved that he had taken testosterone the night before? Are any of these voices now saying, “Golly gee whiz, maybe it is possible after all that a rider can come back from total depletion and injury and win a spectacular mountain stage”. And a spectacular Time Trial...

Does this give any of the nay-sayers food for thought that the human spirit, unbelievable courage and the ability to endure suffering can bring an injured rider to the winner’s circle? Could any of these folks (and you know who you are) maybe say that it could be true that Floyd won that stage last year clean. Yes, clean riders do perform miracles and do the impossible... Ask Vino, and ask Lance, and believe Floyd...

Bravo Vino and, as I watched you on the Podium this morning, I couldn’t help but think that, in a way, you were standing there and standing up for Floyd, too...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • My wife I watched in awe. Perhaps Vino enjoys a good shot of Jack Daniels too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home