Velogal's Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2005



TWS - I hear ya! You’re telling me, but I’ve got it too... My neighbor across the street came over before I had the ignition of my car turned off last night - TWS, he said. “Can we just talk about the Tour for a little bit?” “I don’t know what to do with myself in the mornings now.”

Tour Withdrawal Syndrome.... We are lost, without direction, just lost little lambs - without the sustenance of Phil, or Paul or Bobke - even Trautwig might be welcome. It’s not that we are just without the Tour, we are also without Lance! The owner of the bike shop, where I rent my little upstairs office space, came dragging up the stairs with a big ole six-foot tall cardboard poster of Lance and the Lucky Seven Trek promotion yesterday. He left it sitting in the middle of my office. I guess he thought I needed it pretty bad....

My landlady and I watched the Lance stuff about the Tour de Georgia last night. I was standing right beside Rob and Chris (the OLN camera guys) when they filmed most of it.... When College was hollering with the little boy, I was taking shots of the whole thing. I sent a couple of those pics to College, and he wrote me back to say those were the best pictures he’d ever seen. Well, that made me happy while I was watching it....

One of my friends told me that she is watching the OLN re-runs of Survivor because they have some funny Bob Roll commercials - I guess he’s naked or something - I don’t wanna see it! But it makes her feel closer to the Tour somehow. I taped all the Sirius Faction Lance Armstrong shows while I was away at the Tour, so I have this secret stash of Lance stuff. If it turns out to be a bunch re-runs again, I am throwing my cheap-o boys Nike tennies at the TV screen. Don’t know why, there’s nothing on there but a black screen and Sirius Faction scrolling and wobbling up and down... It’s a RADIO show, dammit....

I’m getting lots of forlorn emails - general theme is withdrawal.... Everybody is watching their tapes, and scrambling for DVDs. World Cycling Productions is probably having a boom in sales. If you’ve gone thru all your Tour resources, you can buy Tour de France for Dummies and highlight the editing mistakes... Ha - not mine.... Hey, how many times can you look at the Tour results on cyclingnews?

So, I guess maybe I better start some kind of Twelve-Spoke Program to deal with all of us being in the grip of addiction and withdrawal from the 2005 Tour - Lance’s Final Super Seven. We can start support groups all over the world to process our feelings about living in a Lance-less cycling world - they must be held in bike shops, tho...

5 Comments:

  • TWS - I hear ya! Haven't watched my video tapes yet though, I think I'll feel worse.

    Ann

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:48 AM  

  • Totally off the wall, off the subject question to keep your mind occupied: What can you tell us about the Tour de France trophy. I know it is made of blue porcelain, but who makes it? And what does it mean (if anything)? Someone brought this up on a cycling forum and we could not believe that with all the tour mainia and tour trivia, there is no information available about this particular tradition.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:33 PM  

  • I hear ya' Velogal!

    I still haven't erased all the stages of the Tour on my TiVo. If only I could erase my memory now and watch them again.

    Sorry we couldn't hook up via phone or skype. Perhaps we could do a post Tour interview?

    The Central Market tourwatch party was a huge success with over a thousand people on the final day. Lotsa media from all over. And OLN trucked in the giant Lance thank you card.

    More on http://touroftexas.com . . .

    Well, at least we're in Austin and can look forward to Lance participating in some of our local events, he said he's going to try and stay in shape.

    Hope to see you at the Ride for the Roses.

    By Blogger Paul, At 1:49 PM  

  • I am totally in withdrawal as well but no matter how bad it gets, no matter how low I go, nothing will make me wish for more Trautwig. That is the one highlight of the end of the Tour.

    And on another note, I found the Bob Roll commercials to be stupid and not even close to funny. Watch at your own risk!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:43 PM  

  • I've made a website where people can leave a personal message for Lance.

    Take a look at http://www.thanklance.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home