Velogal's Blog

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Today was filled with events and autograph signings here at Interbike. Some of them overlapped and everyone was tearing around to find the right sponsor booth. If you looked for the longest lines, you would always find Tyler. But today, the long lines were also for Floyd Landis - people were lined up way early and they had a long wait. There was a huge crowd for the interview with Bob Roll, Gilberto Simonei, and Damaino Cunego.


Bobki told this funny story about Lance riding the new American Chopper that was built for him and the Livestrong campaign. Bobki said that Lance took it out for a spin, and when he came back he headed up the ramp where it had been parked at about 75 miles an hour. Lance loves speed, but I guess his management guys nearly had a heart attack when they saw him come flying up that narrow ramp. There was no problem on Lance’s part, but I guess his guys had flashes of broken bones, etc. Anyway, Lance loves that chopper.


I talked with my buddy, Steve Bauer, all the way down from Canada. He looks great and happy and is already planning his 2005 Tour trips. I went with his group the first time I went to the Tour, and had the best time in the world. His trips are really special and are just first-rate. Then I gave Frankie Andreu a bad time while I was taking his picture. He had to look at every one and told me to take another. He kept grinning that great smile he has, but it was after I took the pic! I said, “Frankie, dammit, you gotta smile before the shot, not after.” I gave him a bad time bout some OLN re-takes the first year that he was doing Tour commentary for them. I was there and took pictures of it all...


So, I just schmoozed my way around the place. I stopped to take a shot of Erik Saunders, and chatted with him for quite a while. Turns out that he and I both feed wild creatures that come into our yards. He feeds wild coyotes and other small critters, and takes tons of photographs of them. I told him about the mother raccoon and her three babies, plus a small black orphaned kitten that the mother raccoon has adopted. I put food and water out for them every night. San Jose has just paved over every place that the wild creatures have as a food source. Then everyone gets pissed when the critters rummage in their yards. It’s like - Hello - these creatures can’t exactly go to 7-11 for food, and they get hungry and thirsty the same as we do.


I stopped and shook hands with Eddie Merckx - he has a big, hearty handshake and a smile to match. He is really a nice guy. He has lost tons of weight: I heard someone ask him if he was getting in racing shape to do the Tour again, and everyone was laughing. I also saw Scott Dauber and Toshi - they work on the special requirements for Lance’s bike and helmets. Toshi designed the TT helmets used at the Tour. Lance has just got the greatest bunch of guys who work on his teams, no matter what their role is, they are just nice, down-to-earth guys.


So Interbike ends tomorrow, and I’m not ready to head back home, but the real world awaits...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home