Velogal's Blog

Tuesday, August 09, 2005


There’s a bit of buzz going around that Lance may appear at the Trek dealer’s bike show in Madison, Wisconsin from Aug 17th to 22nd. It’s not open to the public, unfortunately, sorta like Interbike. And it’s a bummer that Trek is not gonna exhibit at Interbike next month - this will be the first time that they haven’t participated in the huge Las Vegas bike show. Their display is always huge and so interesting... I was kinda wondering if Lance might show up at Interbike, but nope. If at all, it will be in Madison. Hmmm... Since my office is right above Hyland Bike shop in San Jose, I better go downstairs and see if Bill needs a rep at the Wisconsin Trek show, huh?

I guess Trek has decided to present their new 2006 line, and the bikes Lance rode at the Tour, plus Lance’s line of 10/2 clothing exclusively to Trek dealers at their own show. No distractions for the dealers like gambling, showgirls and party-hearty in LV. And no hang-overs - seems like a ton of people at Interbike have a perpetual hang-over for three days.... Pas moi - I like to know which end of the camera I’m using and where I’m at.... Plus, what stays in Las Vegas is not gonna be my hard-earned money on the tables...

It sounds like Ivan Basso and George Hincapie (George for sure) will be at the SF Grand Prix on September 4th. Cool! The new Title Sponsor should be announced real soon - I know but can’t say till it’s officially announced. It should be a great race - The streets will be packed again - if you want a spot on Fillmore right at the fence, you better show up real early in the morning. The official start time is 10 am, but fans will be lining up on The Fillmore by 7 or 8 am.

The race is 108.1 miles, with three 1.3 mile parade laps, then nine 8.8 mile laps of the entire course, finishing with five 5-mile laps that exclude Fillmore Street Hill. You can make it from Fillmore down to the Start/Finish line in time walking if you really haul A... I made it in time from the top of Fillmore last year by walking at running speed with my cameras, but the finish is so packed with people that it’s difficult to get to a good finish line viewing spot, unless you’re lucky (or pushy)....

And, I’ll be surprised if Lance doesn’t make an appearance there, somewhere...

3 Comments:

  • You are killing me. I really wanted to go , but it would be almost $1000 for a one day race. With flying from Winnipeg,a hotel for a few nights, food,etc. Another race ,another time. I will get to one eventually. Enjoy for all of us.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:32 AM  

  • Sammarye,

    Take your bike to the race. I’ve done this every year and get to see all parts of the course. Once you find your choice spot, just lock up your bike and enjoy the race. My only other advice is that you make sure you know which streets to avoid if you are trying to take a shortcut to another part of the course... otherwise you too may have to tackle some of the hills of S.F. as I did.

    By the way, you may already know this, but Lance is suppose to have a one-on-one interview with Bob Costas on HBO’s COSTAS NOW on Friday, August 12 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT (according to the HBO web site) Check your local listings to verify the time. I don’t have HBO, so you or one of Lance’s other fans will have to let me know how it goes.

    Thanks for the site!
    RML

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:07 PM  

  • Thanks, RML, that's good advice on seeing the SFGP as a spectator. I work for Threshold Sports and Coordinate the course marshals for the far end of the course - including Fillmore... So I can get wherever I want to go, but I chose to speedwalk to the finish last year...

    By Blogger velogal, At 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home