Velogal's Blog

Friday, January 14, 2005

Today was absolutely gorgeous here in Solvang - as perfect as anyone could ask for riding. The team in their new kits just sparkled against the lush green landscape. All the guys rode together today and I must say it was splendid to follow over two dozen shiny Discovery kits, on shiny new Discovery Trek Madones. And followed by two shiny silver Discovery team Subaru Outbacks, plus one “plain” shiny silver Subaru Outback - Me.


Lance had another obligation, so he did not ride today. The other guys were just relaxed and enjoying the day. Tomorrow and Sunday are long rides. Both days are about six hours, more or less.


I was driving Mike, the video guy, again today. He was really cool and took most of the photos that I am putting up, since I was driving. Thanks, Mike for the help. He is shooting tons of footage for CSE and Discovery Channel.


I am getting to know Fumy Beppu - he speaks a little English and I speak a little French - he is really a nice guy. He told me that he never gives up when he is riding - a very determined guy - he’ll go far...


The wrenches tried to teach me some Flemish this morning. Vince taught me one phrase, but from his grin, I don’t think it is anything I should say in public. When he wouldn’t tell me what it meant, I knew not to repeat it! Probably was Good Morning or something benign, and the joke really is on me.


Mike Creed’s new bride is here and she is a cutie. They look really happy together. I gave George a little gift for baby Julia, and he said he is going to take it home so he and Melanie can unwrap it together. He is just the best guy!


I went over to the Bulldog Cafe, a favorite hangout for the team. They have great coffee, and also have great free wifi by... Ta Dah... AMD. They had five or six fresh baked, homemade carrot cakes for the team to celebrate all the January birthdays tonight. The owner bakes carrot cakes to die for - Elvio, one of the soigneurs, says that he dreams about her carrot cakes. But me - I dream about the Tour de France...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home